Department/Program: Youth Forensic Services, Mental Health & Addictions Program
Type of Employment: Two Permanent Full-Time 1.0 Positions Or Any Part Therof
Req ID: 35909
Union Status: NSNU Nursing, Nursing Bargaining Unit
Compensation: $35.0356 - $42.723/hour
Posting Date: March 04, 2020
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Start Date: ASAP
The IWK Health Centre is an internationally recognized and respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million women, children, youth and families across the Atlantic region. The IWK is committed to a workplace where our staff, physicians, learners and volunteers reflect the patients, families and communities that we serve. We seek and encourage applicants who reflect our broad diversity, and we are committed to reducing barriers to employment and career growth.
The Staff Nurse will be located at the Nova Scotia Youth Facility (NSYF), a modern correctional facility, located in Waterville, Nova Scotia. The Staff Nurse is responsible and accountable for the application of the nursing process in the delivery of family centred patient care consistent with the objectives, mission and vision of the IWK Health Centre. The Staff Nurse provides primary health care for both general incarcerated adolescent population and for youth admitted to the acute inpatient care unit who present with medical and/or mental health problems and is an integral part of the Forensic interdisciplinary team. The RN helps to build our reputation for excellence in the Maritime community and beyond. He/she contributes to a sustainable health care system through formal and informal partnerships. The RN pursues excellence in care, teaching and research through a spirit of inquiry, discovery and innovation, leveraging our reputation and influence to advocate for health.Hours of Work
12 hour shifts, full rotational schedule (Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends, Holidays)Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required (candidates with commensurate experience and education will be considered).
- Licensed or eligible for RN licensure by the Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) required
- Current successful completion of a Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Basic Life Support Level (BLS) Program within the last 12 months, or successful completion of a BLS Renewal Challenge Certificate, required
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification an asset.
- Previous psychiatric nursing experience an asset.
- Primary health care experience an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to Family Centred Care.
- Demonstrated time management, prioritization, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and practice.
- Competency in other languages considered an asset; French preferred.
Thank you for your interest with the IWK Health Centre. Please sign in to create a profile and set-up Job Alerts for positions of interest.
Please Note: If you are an employee of the IWK Health Centre, please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant. Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.